Monday, March 21, 2011

Monday of the Second Week of Lent

Psalm 56Jeremiah 1:11-19Romans 1:1-15John 4:27-42

In God I trust without a fear that I may walk before God in the light of life.
from Psalm 56

It seems to me that we take “the light of life” for granted until we find ourselves surrounded by the dark. How can we trust God and live in the light when all around us we experience fear, violence, illness and loss?

What can sustain us is often a combination of things which shine a small light here and there leading us on. I believe a most important shift comes when we remember to put ourselves in a place to receive the source of love and light. Being in and listening within silence and prayer or attending a worship service supports us in our journey. God’s presence can come to us as we walk in nature, spend time with a child, or risk and reach out to another in need.

Paul says in chapter one of Romans, “I long to see you that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you, that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith. . . .” You and I can inspire hope in one another as part of the spiritual community of Saint Paul’s. I am grateful for our worship together and all the opportunities for sharing and growing as we learn to “trust God without a fear” thereby seeing and being the light of life.

Brenda Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment