Friday, April 1, 2011

Friday of the Third Week of Lent

Psalm 88Jeremiah 11:1-8, 14-20Romans 6:1-11John 8:33-47

I know that you are descendants of Abraham; yet you look for an opportunity to kill me, 
because there is no place in you for my word.
John 8:36 (NRSV)

Jesus, master of paradox, teaches that complacent dependence upon even the most indisputable benchmarks of identity, e.g., claiming Abraham as patriarch and God as Father can obscure the deep, abiding reality.

A relationship with Jesus involves holding fast to what is true and life-giving, and letting go of what is not. It may necessitate getting out of one’s very own way, surrendering all that serves neither oneself nor others, so that Christ may dwell most truly, vibrantly, and peacefully within.

Like many others, I came to yoga for its myriad physical benefits but, as Jesus would have it, it has transformed my life more than I ever imagined. The practice helps me become aware of my own obstacles and then get out of the way. The postures, meditation, ethics, and attention to breath help me clear more space for God in and with my whole being physically, intellectually, and spiritually.

This Lent, may we prepare a loving place for God’s Word to dwell, recognizing truth with delight and joy.

Are you looking for me? I am in the next seat.
My shoulder is against yours.
You will not find me in stupas, not in Indian shrine rooms, nor in synagogues, nor in cathedrals:
not in masses, nor kirtans, not in legs winding around your own
neck, nor in eating nothing but vegetables.
When you really look for me, you will see me instantly –
you will find me in the tiniest house of time.
Kabir says: Student, tell me, what is God?
He is the breath inside the breath.
Kabir, trans. Robert Bly

Emily Williams Guffey

No comments:

Post a Comment